Friday, January 25, 2019

Refractometer Issue

I have been using the same refractometer for 7 years and calibrate it regularly. Despite that I started to  notice something off with the amount of salt I needed to reach my desired salinity in new batches made for water changes. Recently I purchased an electronic salinity tester from IceCap. The tank was measuring 1.026 with my hydrometer but was actually 1.022! The ability to maintain elevated levels of calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium amongst other trace elements at lower salinity's is nearly impossible. Returning my reef back to the correct levels should have a very positive reaction.

Part 2: I read about where the instrument was reading well below actual salinity. After a factory reset the aquarium was reading 1.026, same as the rwfractrefrac. This will like measurements much faster.


No comments:

Post a Comment